We first started using the phrase in early 2017 when our innovation team began to uncover smarter ways of working using new technology in the Microsoft 365 ecosystem. But what is it exactly and why should you care?
To understand what makes the Intelligent Digital Workspace “intelligent”, you first need to understand what the Digital Workspace is.
For us, the Digital Workspace is a collection of evolving technologies designed around user’s needs that will give them the space and freedom to work securely anywhere and on any device. It optimises their experience and engagement with the tools and resources they need to help them be more effective and productive.
Such technologies can include a workplace intranet, document and knowledge management systems, CRM, SAP, chat tools, email, and more. Through integrating, enhancing or developing this mix of systems, servers and apps in the cloud, the Digital Workspace is an employee experience evolution, designed for a mobile workforce.
So where does “Intelligent” come into it?
The dictionary describes “intelligent” as:
- having or showing intelligence, especially of a high level.
"Anna is intelligent and hard-working"
synonyms: clever, bright, brilliant, sharp, quick, quick-witted, quick on the uptake, smart, canny, astute, intuitive, thinking, acute, alert, keen, insightful, perceptive, perspicacious, penetrating, discerning.
- (of a device or building) able to vary its state or action in response to varying situations and past experience.
synonyms: robotic, automatic, self-regulating, capable of learning; informal, smart
We can explain the Intelligent Workspace by framing it around this dictionary definition of intelligence.
- “Having or showing intelligence” – Collective Intelligence
Collective Intelligence, or “knowledge” is the lifeblood of an organisation. Documents, media assets like video or audio, and tacit knowledge that exists in the brains of your employees all have such high value that needs to be stored and extracted when needed. The Intelligent Workspace enables businesses to effectively manage this intelligence and surface it to the right people at the right time. It has the ability to structure this information in a way that makes it easily accessible to the users who need it.
- A device able to vary its state or action in response to varying situations and past experience – Cognitive Services, Graph and Bots
This is where things get really cool. Using Microsoft Graph, we’re able to collect and analyse data from your digital workspace to enable it to work smarter for your employees. Microsoft Graph is the gateway to data and intelligence in Microsoft 365. We use the Microsoft Graph API to build apps for organisations that interact with the data of millions of users. With Microsoft Graph, we’re able to connect to a wealth of resources, relationships, and intelligence, all through a single endpoint.
For example, in Atlas, our Intelligent Workspace solution, we have built experiences around users’ unique context to help them be more productive:
- Group Explorer enables users to navigate across Office 365 Groups, Teams, Yammer Groups, Planner, SharePoint, and other tools. With Group Explorer you can easily search for content across your core collaboration areas to surface the right information in just a few seconds.
- Atlas offers users the ability to personalise content that is displayed to them by providing preferences that can be set based upon the customer taxonomy model. These preferences will be applied to the news, events and knowledge carousels.
- We harness the best of Microsoft’s document management capabilities and enhance it with custom features to make it easier and smarter.
- Through best practice information architecture and UX, Atlas aides in findability of content and intuitive use of your intelligent workspace. It helps the user find where they are going and where they have been.
- If you’re looking to truly understand what is working for your users, Atlas offers deep reporting and analytics for your organisation’s SharePoint inventory, activities, and assets.
The Intelligent Workspace combines everything you would expect from a Digital Workspace – information publishing and sharing, communication and collaboration tools, self-service abilities, all from an intuitive user interface – but it enables smarter, more effective working through minimising the mundane and repetitive tasks and understanding what your users really need.
The Intelligent Workspace is what we believe all organisations should strive for. It is where the big and repeatable business ROI is found, by getting your Digital Workspace to work harder for you and helping you spend less time creating more valuable outcomes.